Thursday, November 20, 2008

I can't bring home the bacon

Tony works hard and provides well for our family. I don't make money being a mom, but I can save his hard earned money. I like being thrifty and finding ways to make the $ stretch.

Here's some of the things I do:

~ wait to wash until there is a full load (laundry or dishes)
~ use coldest water possible
~ don't use as much soap as suggested on laundry detergent bottle. Test to see how much you can really use and still get your clothes clean.
~ tear fabric softening sheets in half. Half a sheet still works just as well and you get twice as much out of a box.
~Cut napkins in half. The generic brand Homelife has really hefty napkins and 1/2 a napkin works fine. Plus the kids enjoy the task of cutting up the napkins.


What do you do to save money?

2 comments:

summer said...

I love the napkin idea!
I do the cold water thing too and buy almost everything generic. Also, I play a little game with myself to see how long I can make it without going to the store.

Mrs. E said...

Great post!

-I don't buy books; I borrow from the library.

-I also don't use as much laundry soap, and don't wash until I have a full load.

-We buy some of our paper produts in bulk at Costsco. Some items are cheaper, some really aren't. You have to look carefully and compare.


-I do home preschool for my son. He's learning what he needs to know for kindergarten. It's so much cheaper than sending him to preschool.