Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Spiritual Exercise

I'm jumping right in with my first post on what God has been showing me while reading the Bible. Maybe you are not this way, but in most everything I do I'm really excited about it at the start and do pretty well at it and then something happens and I usually end up totally forgetting about it. I don't want to be that way when it come to reading the Bible and learning about God and knowing Him rightly. In order to grow in godliness I need to exercise and stick with it and fight for it.

I Timothy 4:7b-10
Rather train yourself for godliness; 8 for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. 9 The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance. 10 For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe.


Why do I end up giving up and not sticking with it? Because I give in to my self (flesh) and I don't persevere.

Galations 5:16-17
16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.

So how do I walk by the Spirit? By spending time in the Bible.

James 4:8
8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you.

Jeremiah 29:12-13
12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. 13 You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.

"You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart". I haven't been seeking with all my heart. This is where God has been giving me a desire. To seek Him with all my heart. It's changing from being a duty to being a delight, by God's grace!

No comments: