Monday, April 5, 2010

Homemade Deodorant



Yep, you read that right.

But, why would....? I know!
And how come....? I know!
Why wouldn't you just....? I know!


And the answer is because I can't find a decent deodorant that doesn't contain aluminum. Even those crystal deodorants that say they don't contain aluminum actually do
(it's labeled as potassium alum) Or if it doesn't contain aluminum, it is super expensive.

So, I was excited to find out an old friend from high school was making some homemade deodorant this weekend with her mom and she posted the
recipe on her blog. Yeah! (Thanks Jess and Grandma G!)
I already had all the ingredients on hand, so I just whipped up a batch
.

Homemade Deodorant
from How about Orange

1/4 c baking soda
1/4 c arrowroot powder or corn starch
4 T coconut oil
10 drops grapefruit essential oil
a tin or jar with a lid

In a bowl, stir together dry ingredients, then add oils gradually until you like the consistency, mixing with a fork.
Store in a closed container at room temp. (If the mixture seems too soft, try refrigerating it for a bit to firm up.)

To apply, scoop up a bit with your finger, hold it against your skin for a couple seconds so it melts, then rub around.

15 comments:

Mom said...

Brilliant!!! Just last week I was frustrated in Wal-Mart because all they have for girls is deodorant plus antiperspirant. No plain deodorant! I'm trying this.

summer said...

cool! thanks, heidi!
i was JUST in the same situation as audra!

Sharon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mom Judy said...

That's amazing and so simple! Audra told me about it today at preschool and I couldn't wait to get home and look it up. Next try to make a leg shaving cream, shampoo, and cream rinse.

Mom Judy said...

That's amazing and so simple! Audra told me about it today at preschool and I couldn't wait to get home and look it up. Next try to make a leg shaving cream, shampoo, and cream rinse.

Mom Judy said...

Should I post it one more time? I just wanted to remind people when they use baking soda to buy one without aluminum in it.

Grandma G said...

Cool! Thanks, Heidi! I hope you like it as well as I do!

Don't feel bad about the double post, Judy... it's not your fault. Blogger's been screwing up lately. I've double-posted a number of times. You can always delete an extra one if you want. :-)

Grandma G said...

BTW, Judy... does some baking soda really contain aluminum? I have 2 kinds here, and they're both straight sodium bicarbonate. Maybe you're thinking of baking 'powder'?

Kendra said...

I probably don't want to know...but why is aluminum in deodorant bad?

Heidi said...

Kendra- Here are 2 reasons why I don't want aluminum:

1)it is absorbed by your body and affects your brain. It has been linked to Alzheimer.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2003/09/03/antiperspirants-part-one.aspx

2)the reason it is in antiperspirant is because it causes you not to sweat. Sweating is how God created your body to get rid of toxins from your body, if you aren't sweating, the toxins remain in your body and over time cause diseases such as cancer.

Besides antiperspirant, aluminum is commonly found in cookware, pots and pans which your food absorbs and then you eat, drinking water, and vaccinations.

Kendra said...

Thanks for the info Heidi! I never knew that...makes me think twice about putting on my antiperspirant. The main reason I use that is so I don't get wet marks on my shirt...

Brea said...

Thanks for saying the things I was thinking at the beginning of your post. I don't mind the sweat marks all that much, but I really dislike my smell! I've tried the natural stuff before and it didn't work at all! This will be interesting. Especially in Fresno heat. With that baking powder and oil, my armpits just might make something to eat under them!

Heather said...

I just made some with virgin coconut oil which has the natural coconut smell to it...mmmm. (I didn't add any essential oils.) If that's not a good idea for some reason, let me know! And thanks for the recipe! :)

Heidi said...

Heather- that should be fine.
You're gonna love it!

Anonymous said...

Lol