Saturday, July 17, 2010

Instructions for Moms - Part 3



So far in the Instructions for Moms series we've talked about being humble and recognizing that we can't mother on our own, but we learned that we can through Christ because He is sufficient . This week we continue on with seeking after Him with all our hearts.

-Part 3-

-So Seek Him with all of your heart-

Everyone knows the familiar verse in Jeremiah 29:11- for I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. But have you ever read on?

Jeremiah 29:12-13- Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you.13 You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. 14I will be found by you, declares the LORD,

Look at verse 13, you will seek me and find me when you seek me halfheartedly? When you are upset enough? When you’ve tried everything else? ….NO! when you seek me with all of your heart! More humility… more acknowledging Him.

Look at this promise found in Psalm 119:1-2 - Blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the LORD! Blessed are those who keep his testimonies, who seek him with their whole heart.

Are you seeking Him with all of your heart? What does that look like?

Think of it this way:
Think back to when you first met your husband. You found out everything you could about him. You hung out where he hung out. You found out what he liked to eat and tried to like it too. You found what music he liked to listen to and listened to it too. You sought him with all of your heart! You wanted to know everything about him! You cared what he said and how he said it and hung on to and replayed in your mind every sweet word that fell from his mouth. You read, and re-read, and re-read the letters he sent you. You adored him, honored him, stood up for him, defended him, revered him. You feared what he might think of you not what your friends might think of you for being so in love........how much more should our affections be towards God!

If I want godly wisdom it all has to start with knowing God-seeking Him. I'm going to hang out where He hangs out (church, small groups). I'm going to care about and memorize and replay in my mind every sweet word that came from His mouth. And read, and re-read, and re-read the letters He sent me (the Bible). I'm going to like what He likes and hate what He hates. I'm going to adore Him, honor Him, stand up for Him, defend Him, revere Him, and fear what He thinks of me not what the world thinks of me.

One of the first ways to seek God is to be in His Word.

Colossians 3:16 says, "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly." And that’s my next point.

Next week....Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly

1 comment:

Mom Judy said...

Thanks, Heidi! I loved your comparison. Great words!